Fire contained in Sophia Gordon Hall

Posted by thetuftsdaily on January 31, 2013 under Campus News | Comments are off for this article

At 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 30, a fire occurred in Sophia Gordon Hall. The fire started in a suite kitchen, setting off the fire alarm and turning on a fire sprinkler, which successfully contained the fire.

The suite sustained minimal damage and no one was injured, but the suites below the suite where the incident occurred suffered water damage, according to Associate Director of Public Relations Alex Reid.

An announcement was released from the University via e-mail at 5:30 p.m. informing the Tufts community of the incident. According to the announcement, “The fire sprinkler system and fire detection system, present in all university housing, worked correctly and helped to minimize damage.”

The announcement stated that the fire appeared to have been caused by a cooking stove left unattended. The announcement asked students to remember fire safety procedures and how to prevent fires, including not leaving cooking unattended.

Comments are closed.